Wednesday, July 15, 2009

MINE!

We have just entered the world of "mine!" Every toy is "mine." Every bite of food is "mine." Anything and everything that Beckett has is "mine." I wish the word did not exist.
This literally just started maybe a week ago. Eddie and I were puzzled. We had no idea where she picked up the word. If she ever has something of ours she's not supposed to, we say "That's Mommy's" or "That's Daddy's." As a matter of fact, she loves to bring us things that belong to us. (Here lately, it's been Eddie's wedding ring. I'm predicting that one day soon we won't be able to find it.) Elliott loves to name the belongings of everyone - "Mommy's cup. Ellie's cup." or "Daddy's pizzi. Ellie's pizzi." She's been pretty good about sharing until lately.
We were eating our regular Sunday dinner with Chelsea and Hoop when Elliott told Beckett, "No, it's mine!" They laughed. (Yeah, just wait Aunt Chels and Unc...just wait). I was telling them that she started this out of the blue and that we couldn't figure out where she got it from. Hoop said "She sounds like the seagulls from Finding Nemo!" Eddie and I looked at each other. Ding! Ding! Ding! Finding Nemo is like her favorite right now - It's her bedtime "moonie."
As I fell asleep a couple of nights ago with Elliott watching her favorite movie, something startled me. I jumped up quick and looked up, focusing on the movie playing. It was the seagulls. They were all shouting back and forth, "Mine!" "Mine!" "Mine!" That word is haunting me.

1 comment: