Saturday, July 11, 2009

And so it begins...


Elliott is not a big eater. She never has been. While Beck wants to eat everything in sight, Ellie isn't interested in food much at all. Right now, her diet consists of chicken nuggets, burgers, french fries, salad with thousand island, gummy snacks, ice cream and hershey kisses. And, even those junk foods, we can only get her to partially eat. You don't have to tell me. It's horrible. I know. You also don't have to tell me that it's pretty much my diet as well. I know that, too.
Eddie and I often bargain with Elliott when eating: just one more bite, eat two more fries, if you eat one more big piece, you can have ice cream, etc. So, a few of days ago, I asked Elle to eat one chicken nugget and then she could have some candy..not unusual for a dinner routine. I watched her take a bite of the chicken nugget just like a good girl would. Eddie and I were praising her for eating so much dinner! It was a rare occasion. As I bent down to pick something up off the floor, I noticed something under Elliott's leg. Yep, you guessed it. It was the chicken nugget she had somehow sneaked from her mouth to a secret hiding space that her mommy wouldn't notice. I couldn't believe my eyes. In secret code, I told her daddy who asked her where her nugget went - She timidly took the chicken nugget from under her leg and raised it up above the table with an undeniably innocent look. Her daddy and I couldn't resist. It was too funny. Until....
Two nights ago, same song and dance. "Mommy, down, please." "Elliott, one more bite and you can get down." So, here's Elle taking a big bite as only a two year old would, right? No. I turned my head for just a moment and as I looked back at my big girl, I saw her taking the bite out of her mouth and throwing it as quick as she could. Wow.
And so it begins...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, what a stinker!!!! I did that with my tomatoes all the time as a kid, but not until I was way older! We have to do the bribery thing, too...I guess it is one of those things I swore I would never do, but now it seems like the only way to get her to finish dinner!

    ReplyDelete