Sunday, June 28, 2009

"Heal the world...make it a better place"

This past Thursday, the world lost a music legend. Michael Jackson left this world abruptly leaving many to mourn the loss of an icon. He was arguably the most influential, the most innovative and the most talented entertainer of all time.

I didn’t get to witness firsthand the greatness of his early years – I’m too young. MTV was banned in my house, so even in the 80s and early 90s, my Michael Jackson intake was limited. But, somehow, I know words to the songs and dance moves to the videos. That’s because his musical talent goes way beyond the moment.

Oddly enough, just last week, one of the little kindergartners I’m teaching in summer school said, “I like the song Thriller! You know, Mrs. Roe, that’s Michael Jackson.” I laughed out loud. I couldn’t believe this six year old was telling me about MJ. Too funny! When I learned of his death, the reflection of this conversation led me to think about all the many fans, from old to young, that enjoyed the music of Michael Jackson.

I have already received horrible jokes about MJ’s death. I have read countless articles reminding everyone of the bizarre behavior in the latter years of his life. The very day after I heard co-workers bash on the media for making such a huge deal out of it when he was such a “bad person” and for complaining about all the coverage when it hadn't even been 24 hours. I’m not here defending him. I’m not saying I don’t agree with some of it. But, I do know that he was acquitted of the charges brought against him. And, I do know that I have no right to judge. And, I’m sorry, but it really bothers me when people negatively talk about things when they have no proof or knowledge of the absolute truth.

A few years back, I remember watching the documentary on MJ. I remember feeling so sad for him. As everyone kept calling him “Wacko,” I couldn’t help but feel deeply sorry for him. He never experienced true childhood. He missed out on so much. I don’t know if it contributed to his troubles. Yes, I understand the argument on the flipside. But, personally, I think there was more to him than we know....a genuine love for people and the wish to truly change the world.

The one thing we cannot deny is the brilliance and artistry that Michael Jackson brought to the world. If you think about the performers that we love today, most in some way were influenced by MJ. I know that many, including my friends, will not agree with me. But, I hope that Michael Jackson is remembered for the imprint he has left on music, not the headlines that ruined his career.

I wonder if Neverland Ranch will become a Graceland?

2 comments:

  1. I just had a conversation with Ryan and Tony about the fact that they should make Neverland something like Graceland...

    By the way, I love your new background :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we all want to be remembered for the good things we do in life versus the condescending opinions of others? Michael Jackson is no different from anyone else when you look at it that way. I feel like we all, deep down, hope that people could honestly describe us with those same words after our death that you eloquently wrote about him: "a genuine love for people and the wish to truly change the world."

    ReplyDelete